To access the government healthcare system and facilities – which you may need to use even with private insurance – it is essential to apply for a health card. This can be issued only after you obtain a residence permit.
The State of Qatar guarantees health services to all citizens and residents in government medical institutions through a Health Card system. The system provides the cardholder with a medical record file containing all his/her medical data saved in the nearest health care centre. The card is the same size as the Driving License. It contains the ID number, nationality, photo and expiry date.
Consultations or non-emergency treatments may cost extra but will be subsidized for those who hold a valid Health Card. Any patient not holding a Health Card will be charged as a visitor. Health Card holders may also fill out prescriptions at a government pharmacy at subsidized rates.
Babies under one year receive free vaccinations and medical treatment under the state healthcare system. Cash is no longer accepted for payment at Primary Health Care Centres (PHCC) – only a valid debit or credit card or payment card obtainable from QNB.
To obtain a health card, visit the Primary Health Care Center (PHCC) nearest to where you live. There you need to fill out the appropriate forms. You will be issued a PHCC health file number.
You will be requested the below documents based on your nationality:
- Qatari Adults: Copies of your passport or ID, a passport-size photograph (4cm X 3cm) and a fee of QR50
- Qatari Children: Birth certificate with Qatar personal identity number or passport, passport-size photograph, vaccination card (for first time issue) and a fee of QR50
- GCC National Adult Residents: Copy of passport or ID with Qatar personal identity number, a passport-size photograph, your old health card (in case of renewals) and a fee of QR50
- GCC National Child Residents: Birth certificate or passport with Qatar personal identity number, one passport-size photograph, vaccination card (for first time issue for childern born in Qatar), old health card (in case of renewals) and fees of QR50
- Adult Residents: Valid QID or passport with valid residence permit, a passport-size photographs and a fee of QR100
- Children: Passport with valid residence permit, a passport-size photograph, vaccination card (for first time issue and for those born in Qatar or who had their vaccinations in Qatar) and a fee of QR100
- Domestic Staff: Valid passport with a valid residence permit, a passport-size photograph, original QID of sponsor and a fee of QR50 (as for professions approved by MOI for personal sponsorship)
- All: A copy of utility bill (phone, water/electricity) – this proves where you live.
Health Card Renewal
You can either visit your health centre or lodge an online application for health card renewal.
Renew or replace your Health Card through Hukoomi via these simple steps
- Load the online application
- Enter your ID number
- Choose to renew, or ‘Reprint’ if you wish to replace your lost or damaged Health Card
Select the number of years you wish to renew your card for
- Choose your preferred delivery option
- Pay appropriate fees online
The cost of Health Card renewal is QAR50 for citizens and QAR100 for residents. You may collect your card from Health Card Workshop at villa #20 near the Women’s Hospital for free.
Collecting it from a post office costs an additional QAR10, while personal delivery costs QAR20. Notification by SMS is free.
Image Credit: Hamad Medical Corporation