DESS was founded in 1981, catering for the growing need for an English speaking school.
The history of the school dates back to 1971 when an English Primary School catering for British children was first built. The junior school was opened in February 1979 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the present Emir’s father.
The discovery and subsequent exploitation of a huge gas field on it’s north coast has led to significant economic progress in Qatar in recent years. This in turn has led to a rapid expansion of the Doha English Speaking School, both in terms of pupil numbers and overall facilities.
The school caters for children between the ages of three and eleven years. Although the admissions policy prioritises British children, the school has a strong international element.
A Beacon of Excellence in International Education
Learning Together – High Expectations – Celebrating Success
– create a happy, secure, stimulating and supportive learning environment
– care for the whole child – prepare future citizens
– deliver the National Curriculum for England in a relevant, meaningful and rigorous way
– offer not-for-profit education
– work in partnership with our community
– welcome innovation
– provide staff with the opportunities to enhance and develop professional skills