Ooredoo (formerly Qtel) and Vodafone Qatar provide International Direct Dialling (IDD) to most countries. Dial 00 (or +) to call out. Alternatively, you can book a call through directory enquiries.
Mobile Number Portability (MNP): Users are able to keep their existing mobile number when switching to another service provider.
Check the latest offers from both providers – there are many to be had.
Qatar Public Telecommunications Corporation (Qtel) was the first and sole telecom provider in Qatar for 20 years. In March 2013, Qtel rebranded to become Ooredoo. It offers a comprehensive package of services ranging from landline
to mobile phones, fixed and mobile internet, broadband and entertainment services.
4G LTE wireless technology offers customers faster access to the internet with connection speeds three to six times faster than the previous 3G network, enabling seamless connections
when streaming music and HD video, browsing multimedia-rich websites or updating social media on the go. Customers can access the network only through 4G-enabled devices such as the Ooredoo My-Fi device and the Ooredoo 4G USB modem.
Ooredoo’s app is available for download at ooredoo.qa/app for iOS, Android and Blackberry, to aid customers in managing their accounts and services.
• Hala is a pay as you talk, no contract option. Credit can be topped up by a variety of recharge methods, from top-up cards available at many retail outlets to credit transfer from other Ooredoo mobile users, eVouchers, eTopUp, online or direct top up from their Self Service Machines (SSMs). Hala Fast Credit enables customers to borrow credit when their balance falls below QAR1.
• Shahry is a pay monthly service with a choice of price plans and packs.
• Other mobile services include Blackberry Hala and Shahry packages, mobile money with MoneyGram and HD Voice.
Rates: Local landline calls are free. Off-peak rates apply to mobile and international calls from 11 pm – 6 am.
Residential Packages: This three-in-one service includes the core pay-monthly mobile phone plan, high-speed internet connection (ADSL), and landline subscriptions with three options. Residents over 18 years old can apply at Ooredoo shops or their authorised dealers. Take a copy of your passport or residence card. Connection fee is QAR200, the lowest monthly fee is QAR33.
eShop: Buy services and hardware online.
Ooredoo tv: Ooredoo recently launched ‘Ooredoo tv’, which has replaced its existing Mozaic TV. Android powered Ooredoo tv will offer over 400 live channels, 4K picture quality and advance control through phone or tablet computers. Ooredoo has become the first operator in the region to offer a commercial 4K service. 4K picture quality allows viewers to enjoy a high definition experience even on the largest screens. Ooredoo tv will allow users to watch channels on tablet computers.
The new service has been designed as an evolution in home entertainment services, combining apps, on-demand and live television in one easy-to-use box.
Broadband Internet Services: Offers customers a range of packages to suit individual needs, in and outside the home.
There is an online service which allows you to view bills, make payments and add, modify, or suspend a service. Alternatively, visit an Ooredoo shop,
a bank, SSM or one of their authorised dealers. ooredoo.qa
Nojoom is the customer reward programme. Subscribers can earn points to spend on all their services (mobile, landline, internet and TV) and redeem them with the company or with a number of their partners. Call 111 from an Ooredoo phone, visit the website or register via the app.
Ooredoo Passport: Save on standard roaming charges. For QAR100, get 100 roaming minutes for calls and 1GB of roaming mobile data to use on Passport Partners in more than 60 countries (including GCC).
The entry of Vodafone Qatar into Qatar’s expanding telecoms industry has given subscribers the choice of two service providers. Vodafone Qatar is part of an international telecom company, the Vodafone Group, and is jointly owned with Qatar Foundation.
Vodafone Qatar also offer a choice of flexible mobile phone, internet and broadband services. Visit vodafone.qa, one of their stores or a partner outlet.
There is a wide choice of prepaid plans to suit different requirements, plus welcome packs. Recharge is available online or at Vodafone stores and their partner outlets.
• Postpaid monthly plans range from Silver, Gold, Platinum to Diamond with a mix and match option to add bonuses and extras to suit your needs.
• Blackberry services and packages.
• Smartphone store: Buy or order a range of mobile handsets, internet devices and tablets, USB sticks for laptops and more.Vodafone Qatar also offers a choice of pre- and postpaid internet services. Details of its Superfast Broadband Home Phone Service, including an update of its fibre coverage in Qatar, are also available on the website.Souqit.com is Vodafone Qatar’s online marketplace where you can buy, sell, advertise and find goods and services all under one roof.
Accessing television services
There is an ever-increasing number of options for receiving satellite or cable television, installed through any of the local cable companies.
Ooredoo tv The Ooredoo tv upgrade comes free for Mozaic customers. Ooredoo has introduced a ‘Collect & Go’ service for all current Mozaic TV and broadband users, meaning they can visit any Ooredoo Shop and collect the new Ooredoo tv box to take home. The 260,000 homes in Qatar that have already been installed with Ooredoo Fibre will be able to self-install the new Ooredoo tv service.
To keep things simple for customers, Ooredoo tv will offer four feature-filled packages called ‘Extras’ – Arabia Extra, Asian Extra, International Extra and Super Extra. To subscribe call 111 or visit any Ooredoo or Starlink shop.
Installing a satellite dish
Orbit Showtime Network (OSN), home to over 100 channels of entertainment, can be contacted on 4447 7177, by visiting osn.com or by contacting a local authorised dealer.
- Almuftah Cable Vision 4432 0534
- Qatar Multi Tech Trading & Cont 4435 3565
- Rukun Al Qala Trading & Contg 4442 0200